This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Can you add an in place upgrade in the roadmap for DaxStudio?

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:47 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2015 at 11:48 PM
It would be nice if you could do an in-place upgrade with cleanup...or do upgrades on a schedule.
Jul 7, 2015 at 12:27 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 7, 2015 at 12:43 AM
Yes this would be nice, but it's slightly trickier with DAX Studio than with a normal app as we have both the Excel add-in and the stand-alone version, so we would need to make sure that both Excel and any standalone instances are not running when attempting to update our binaries. So there is probably a way to make this work, but I think it's going to be a non-trivial exercise.
Jul 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM
I can't remove this post. Also, is there a 64 bit version of the DaxStudio?
Jul 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Which post did you want to remove? The first one about the auto-updater? I think that's a great idea it's just a little complicated because of the reasons I outlined above and I have not figured out a good way of dealing with these yet. Releasing on a fixed schedule is harder a lot of the UI is manually tested and this is just a hobby project that I do in my spare time and sometimes I may not work on it for a few weeks and some of the bigger features have taken a month or two to get working.

In terms of 64 bit DAX Studio does run as a 64 bit application, but there is no separate version.

DAX Studio is a .Net application and it's compiled as an "AnyCPU" application. All .net applications are compiled to IL (Intermediate Language) byte code that is then compiled into machine language by the JIT (Just-In-Time) compiler in the .net framework when they are first run. because DAX Studio is marked as an "AnyCPU" application it will run as a native 64 bit app on a 64 bit machine and as a 32 bit app on a 32 bit machine. I'm able to do this because I don't have any dependencies which have separate 64 vs 32 bit libraries.

Previously in the v1 releases we had separate 32 and 64 bit installers, but that's because of a deficiency in the previous installer technology (it could not dynamically read either the 64 or 32 bit registries). I've completely re-written the installer for the v2 releases using InnoSetup which handles this easily.
Jul 7, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Okay. Thanks for the comments and understand about this being a community project. I really appreciated the "anycpu" comment too.