This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Apostrophes round table names

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:14 AM
Hi

When I drag fields into the otherwise excellent DAX Studio window, they appear without single apostrophes. Even if I type in the apostrophes, the editor removes them.

When I then copy a measure formula into the SSDT tabular model formula bar, I get an error message saying that the expression is not valid or appears to be incomplete. The only way I can get round it is to enclose all table names in single apostrophes.

How could I get round this please?

PS Thanks for DAX Studo - it's great otherwise!
Jun 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM
hmm, what are the names of the tables that are causing this issue? The single quotes are optional unless the table name contains a space... or is a DAX reserved word. I'm wondering if our reserved word list is not complete. If this is the issue we should be able to fix this by dynamically querying the current data source for it's list of reserved words.
Jun 30, 2015 at 2:59 PM
OMG! I don't believe that's what the problem was! The table name I was using was TRANSACTION - I've just tried it with a couple of other tables and - of course - it worked fine without apostrophes. Thank you.
Jun 30, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Dgosbell, how do you test this product? I'm just curious.
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:56 PM
I have MSTest unit tests around some of the core functionality like the metadata parsing (we do our own parsing of CSDL similar to what PowerView does), DaxFormatter integration and the parsing for the intellisense integration. The rest is largely manual testing.

In relation to your issue - it looks like we are only quoting the DATE keyword properly. The intellisense is probably making this worse as it's detecting TRANSACTION as a table name and putting in the internal name that it knows from the metadata. It shouldn't be too trick to fix this by asking the server for it's list of keywords.
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Many thanks for your replies.

On a separate point, do you have any connection with DAX Editor for SQL Server?

Regards

Andy

cid:image001.jpg@01CFC150.2292BC60

Training and systems in Microsoft Office, SQL Server and .NET

Telephone : +44 (0) 1457 858877
http://www.wiseowl.co.uk

Find us: Twitter or Facebook

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM
I know the guys that work on DAX Editor, but I have not contributed to it myself.

I have a beta build available that should fix this issue if you want to give it a try: https://daxstudio.codeplex.com/releases/view/616037
Jul 1, 2015 at 1:20 PM

OK, I’ve downloaded it, and will let you know of any issues. Thanks again. It certainly puts apostrophes round the Transaction table!

I asked about DAX Editor because it would actually suit me much better, since I’m using SSAS tabular models within SSDT, but it seems – how can I put this – a bit less reliable? I just can’t get linking to the model to work, so that Intellisense happens.

Btw, I’ve blogged about DAX Studio here. I’ve also just gone through this removing a couple of slanders:

· That you can’t change the font size (I’ve discovered now that you can)

· That you can’t right-click to copy code (maybe it was true when I first wrote it)

Wonder when PowerPivot/SSAS Tabular will get their own native editor?

Regards

Andy

cid:image001.jpg@01CFC150.2292BC60

Training and systems in Microsoft Office, SQL Server and .NET

Telephone : +44 (0) 1457 858877
http://www.wiseowl.co.uk

Find us: Twitter or Facebook

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Unfortunately the tabular model designer appears to be just a lift and shift of the one in PowerPivot and it does not really provide any extensibility points for add-ins. Which is why the DAX Editor project needs you to close the model as they inject their changes directly into the .bim file. It's all very clunky at the moment, I'm hanging out for the next preview of SQL 2016 hoping to see some improvements from Microsoft.

Those screen shots on your post are from the v1 version of Dax Studio which is a few years old now. We first released the v2 update in December last year and it was pretty much a re-build of the User Interface. I think both the runtime font sizing and the right click context menu were probably only added to the v2 UI. I'm planning to add an options dialog in the next major release (2.3) so that people can set a default font face and size among other things.

If you are working a lot with tabular models I also added the capability to run DAX Studio standalone outside of Excel to the v2 versions and the later builds will also do automatic refreshing of metadata, so if you switch over to the tabular designer and deploy some changes while DAX Studio is open, when you switch back to DAX Studio it will "see" that the model has been updated and refresh the metadata pane.

Are you still having problems with the installer with the v2 releases? The registry settings you've listed are exactly what the installer should be setting. In fact pretty much all the installer does is to write those registry settings so that Excel can find the addin, check for a couple of dependencies. The installer was also completely re-written for v2 and I've tested it across a bunch of VM test machines running windows 7 & 8 both 32 & 64 bit running Excel 2010 & 2013 both 32 & 64 bit including 32 bit office running on a 64 bit OS. We've had over 3,000 downloads of v2 line of DAX Studio and we've only had 3-4 reports of issues. And in most cases I've been able to work with the person to get DAX Studio working for them (some people have logged an issue and then not responded to my follow up emails so I can't do much to help them)
Jul 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM

I’ve updated the blog to remove the reference to editing the registry. Blogs are tricky things: you should really let them be after publication, but sometimes they’re so obviously out of date …

Thanks

Andy

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Thanks for dong the update. I did not expect that - I agree with you that in general you should leave blog posts alone once they are posted.

I was more concerned with clarifying whether you'd had this experience with the v1 release or the v2 release as I'm always looking for ways to make sure that the install is as smooth as possible and the post appeared to have been done a few months after the v2 series was first released. I know there are some rare edge cases out there that the installer does not handle properly, but to date I have not been able to gather enough information to reproduce any of these issues.