This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Does Dax studion allow to evaluate dax formula in the similar way as excel evaluate formula function?

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:39 AM
HI,

I have started learning dax and power pivot. My biggest challenge is to understand all formula’s evaluation steps, because it seems there is no step by step evaluation functionality available in dax. I would like to see how the intermediate results look. In regular excel i can create a complex formula and troubleshoot it using evaluate formula function. Does dax studio have this functionality? If not is there any other way?

thanks
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2015 at 10:04 PM
No, DaxStudio does not provide any way to step through a formula. The bulk of the DAX functions do set based evaluation not cell by cell evaluation and sometimes the intermediate steps are not actually materialized by the engine. In some cases you can manually break a measure into a number of smaller measures and build up your final function from there. However there are some expressions that are difficult / impossible to break down further due to the way they interact with the evaluation context.

There is not really anything we can do to enable this level of debugging. Support at that level would have to be built in by Microsoft.
Apr 23, 2015 at 7:30 AM
Makes sense. Thank you for detailed explanation.
If only microsoft had provided that functionality it would have been much easier to learn DAX...