This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

I removed Dax Studio Add-in. How to I get it back?

May 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM
I've installed the 64bit version of the Excel 2013 Add-in.

After struggling a lot to get it to connect to the model, I removed the add-in from the COM Add-in window.

Now I don't know how to get it back??

I've tried reinstalling, but no luck.
May 17, 2014 at 11:16 PM
How did you 'remove the add-in from the COM Add-in window'? If you just un-ticked it you may just need to go back in and tick it again as that would change the load options for the add-in.

I've also had some users have some luck recently when they had trouble with the installer by choosing a custom install and checking the option to install to the local computer (which should be what the default install does anyway). Can you see a "C:\program files\dax studio" folder (or what ever path you chose) with a number of dll files in it after doing the install? If not, try the custom install.
May 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM
I removed the add-in by selecting in Excel 2013:
  1. File
  2. Options
  3. Add-ins
  4. Manage: COM Add-ins
  5. Remove
So now it does not appear in the list of available add-ins anymore.
I can see the folder with Dax Studio dll's in a folder under c:\\Programs (I have the 64 bit version installed)
I've also tried your suggestion to do a custom install, but no luck?
On another machine I have the 32 bit version and it points to "file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Dax Studio\DaxStudio.vsto|vstolocal"
I've tried to add a similar path to the afflicted machine, but it does not understand the |vstolocal part.
Thanks for the help!
May 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM
The installer basically copies the files to a folder and then sets a couple of registry keys so that excel knows where to find Dax Studio. If you take the text at the bottom of this post and paste it into notepad and save it as "DaxStudio.reg" to your desktop (if you include the quotes around the name notepad will not add the default .txt extension). Double clicking on this .reg file (which should have an icon of a blue cube with some bits coming off) should merge these settings into your registry and hopefully then Excel should load Dax Studio again.

I think I will rebuild the installer for v2 from scratch and hopefully I can make it a bit smarter and more resilient.

============== DO NOT INCLUDE THIS LINE =====================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\DaxStudio]
"Description"="DaxStudio"
"FriendlyName"="DaxStudio"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
"Manifest"="file:///C:/Program Files/Dax Studio/DaxStudio.vsto|vstolocal"
May 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Thanks
It works!
Great program.
May 21, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Cool - that's good to know.

Thanks for posting back. I'll see what using the "remove" option in Excel does and make sure the new installer can deal with that.