Dax Studio to extract data from PBIX file into Excel directly

May 17 at 4:38 PM
i'm struggling to decide whether to move form excel based models to PBI Desktop models. There are number of issues, but a key one is how to export large chunks of underlying model data e.g. customer lists that feed 3rd party CRM.

In excel this is trivial as you just write some DAX in a SUMMARIZE function and spit out whatever columns/rows you need. As far as I can tell there is no way to do this form a PBIX model
  1. Export data only exports csv which then requires additional formatting and manipulation by non-technical marketing staff
  2. Making a report and publishing to PBI Services you can export to excel directly, but if you just want to look at a list of 100 rows its useless.
  3. Dax Studio can link to the PBIX model but again can only export in an awful csv structure. No choice to use Excel unless your data model is already within excel
Have I got this correct and DAX studio cannot export directly to excel and save a lot of grief?

Thanks
Mike
Coordinator
Jun 19 at 11:38 PM
Hi Mike sorry for the delay in responding, but codeplex has stopped sending me notifications for new discussion posts...

You can export from a PBIX file to Excel. Simply start Power BI, open your file, then launch DAX Studio from the Excel Addin and connect to your PBIX model. As long as DAX Studio is launched from Excel it can send output there