This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

DAX Studio Crashes if connected datasource Recalculates or is processed

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:54 PM
I have not tested with Excel, but does occur while connected to a PowerBI or Tabular Server.

to work around the issue, I try to remember to just change the perspective or the Database name to something else and then back to the connection I want to use and does not crash.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Connect to a Tabular Cube from Dax.
  2. Perform a Full Process on Cube from SSMS
  3. Try to execute a query in DAX Studio.
I first noticed the issue while connecting to an integrated workspace.

I can make a video if you cannot reproduce.
Nov 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM
My experience with Dax Studio 2.5.0 is similar / related to Ganwold's: for me, anytime there is a metadata change / Processing in the model, Dax Studio will crash the next time I try to use an already open instance. My 100% repro case is if the model is processed, I then click on either 'Refresh Metadata' or 'Run' and Dax Studio will crash. I am interacting with an SSAS Tabular 2012 model on the network.

My workaround has been to Select All, Copy of my source code and open a new instance of Dax Studio to paste the source code.

Prior versions of Dax Studio have never done this for me.

I love Dax Studio.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Yes, I think there was a bug introduced in the refresh metadata code somehow I think I have figured out a fix for that. I need to test the Run button scenario as this might be a different issue
Nov 23, 2016 at 3:35 PM
I've experienced about ~50 crashes since installing DAX Studio 2.5.0 about 2 hours ago. I've been connected to Power Pivot models for Excel 2013. I usually only experience ~2 crashes an hour with previous versions.

dgosbell - I'd really like to provide some error dumps for crashes that I've been experiencing with DAX Studio. Is there a way to do this?

Keep up the good work mate,
Simon N.
Nov 24, 2016 at 1:09 PM
When working in Power BI desktop (latest version) and having Dax Studio 2.5.0 on the ready on the side you can't make any modification in the data model without DAX studio losing the connection to Power BI desktop.

If you don't have the 'output tab' activated you'll not notice this. When you then subsequently run a DAX measure, DAX studio will consistently crash or freeze.

I think this and the above problems and the 'updating meta data problem' may be caused by the same bug.

Best regards
Oxenskiold.