This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

PowerBI Metadata

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:01 PM
How does one get their existing PowerBI data model metadata, specifically, table and column descriptions to come across into the DAX Studio reports? Right now I get table and column names but none of my detailed descriptions are showing up.
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2016 at 10:44 PM
Where are you entering these descriptions? I can see a description when you edit the query for a table, but that appears to be stored against the query and is not applied to the Power BI data model.

There are quite a few requests like this one https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9423663-enhance-metadata-descriptions asking for this feature.
Sep 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM
Table descriptions are entered in the Query Editor by right-clicking on the table name and selecting properties. Although labeled "description", they do not flow through to the DAX Studio "descriptions" column in a table schema. Just wondering why that's not occurring. No yet able to add Column metadata with PowerBI (which would be part of your suggestion).
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2016 at 11:41 PM
So like I mentioned in my previous response - that description appears to be saved against the query, but Microsoft is not transferring this to the Table object itself. This appears to be missing functionality in Power BI models. In PowerPivot and Analysis Services you can edit the descriptions and they will display in DAX Studio in the tooltips of Tables and Columns.

As far as I am aware there are no DAX keywords or functions that allow you to access the description metadata in a query, but (if the description is populated) you can get at the description columns with DMV queries like

select * from $system.DBSCHEMA_TABLES

select * from $SYSTEM.MDSCHEMA_LEVELS
Marked as answer by TJDoherty on 9/2/2016 at 4:48 PM
Sep 2, 2016 at 11:48 PM
OK, now I understand - DAX Studio gets its info from the table object, not the data model. Thus, need to get MS to flow table descriptions from the data model to the table object and include the ability to provide column descriptions within the table object. Thanks for the clarification!
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2016 at 3:08 AM
Almost - the concept is correct, but I don't think your terminology is quite right.

Technically the Table is part of the data model. (both the "Data" and "Relationship" tabs on the left hand side of Power BI Desktop are showing you different views of the data model. It's only when you click "Edit Query" that you can add a description. So technically I think the description is stored as part of the source query (but there is a 1:1 relationship between queries and tables so the concepts are related). This distinction is clearer in Excel where PowerQuery and PowerPivot are 2 separate ribbons.

If Microsoft were to expose a way to populate or edit the descriptions in the data model in Power BI they should just flow through into the tool tips in DAX Studio.
Sep 3, 2016 at 4:12 AM
OK. thank you. :)