This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

What's new with DAX Studio?

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:51 PM
I need to understand where this product is at now.

I'm using SQL 2016 and Excel 2016 but I can't apply any DAX to the old models because they are MDX and my new stuff is Tabular. Is there a way to view this in the DAX Studio?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18279
Jul 26, 2016 at 12:14 AM
DAX Studio is a client tool. It can connect to pretty much all known sources that support DAX at this time. This includes Power BI Desktop, Power Pivot, SSAS Tabular and SSAS Multi-Dimensional (for SQL 2012 SP1 CU4 or later). So if you can load the data into one of these "servers" you can query it with DAX Studio.

But while you can query Multi-Dimensional models there are specific requirements on things that need to be included when running DAX against an MDX model and these are not documented so there is a lot of trial and error involved. One way to figure out query patterns that will work is to connect using Power View in Excel and use SQL Profiler to observe the queries that it generates.

Typically you will find that you are better off querying Multi-Dimensional modesl with MDX and Tabular ones with DAX.

The other option with the Contoso data set would be to load up the SQL data and then build your own tabular model over the top.
Jul 26, 2016 at 12:37 AM
So If I want to teach people how to use DAX Only. I just need to use this tool, right?

Why would I want to build Tabular models? This sounds redundant? Can I do this with the link I posted above.

I have a DAX class coming up but I can't find good DAX models to use....they are all MDX!!!
Oct 13, 2016 at 2:08 AM
maybe a dark grey background will make night work more comfortable ^-^
Oct 13, 2016 at 8:40 PM
@ryangao - interesting idea, I think it should be possible to come up with some alternative "themes" although we got a couple of other ideas that we want to look at implementing that are probably more important than this.