This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Error Connecting to server: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime (SOLVED)

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:22 AM
Hi,

I have suffered for several months of no connection to SSAS server across different DAX Studio versions. After trying everything I finally found the reason, which I want to share in case someone is having the same issue. In 2.1.1version the connection just didn’t succeed with not any apparent error message. With 2.2.6 I’m getting in the Output tab the message “Error Connecting to server: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime”.

I was using a non-standard date format in my Windows regional settings “yyMMdd”, kind of a reduced Swedish format. When I changed that to any standard format (in Control panel / Region and Language), the connection started to work by first time!
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2015 at 12:46 AM
Thanks for letting us know about this, I'll copy this to an issue and see if I can reproduce this, it may be a bug in our logging/tracing code as I don't think the connection should care about the date format.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2015 at 12:47 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.