This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Default Application Window Size & Position

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM
It would great if the size and position of the DAX Studio application window would be appropriate for the user's display setup. At a minimum, it should "remember" the size and position last used before closing the application. I currently have a two-monitor setup each with a standard (4:3) aspect ratio with resolution set to 1024 x 768. When I open DAX Studio it is stretched across the middle of both monitors and the window is too wide to fit on just one.
Additionally, I don't particularity care for having all the features jammed into the Home tab of the ribbon. Since the buttons do not resize, the Connect and Refresh Metadata buttons are out of reach without clicking the arrow. I think Traces and Server Timings could go on a separate tab. Alternatively, the Edit and Find sections can be removed from the ribbon. Consider the user base of this application -- aren't all users advanced enough that they will be using CTRL+C, X, V, Z, Y instead of clicking a button in the ribbon. Similarly for Find/Replace, CTRL-F, H.
Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2015 at 9:37 PM
So very early on when we first introduced the ribbon to the v2 releases we did have 2 ribbon tabs got the exact opposite feedback. That "people did not want to have to switch tabs to get to things that could fit onto one tab".

However I think I have a good compromise in that the ribbon control we are using supports dynamic resizing, the documentation on it's not too great, but I've managed to figure it out and that should give us the best of both worlds. So everything still fits on the home ribbon tab, but the labels next to the edit and find buttons will collapse first as the window size gets reduced, then I've set a priority order for the collapsing of the other tabs so you can actually resize the window quite small now and still get to everything without have to scroll anything. We have a release planned in the next few days to align with some Power BI Designer changes and this will be in that release. The feature around remembering of the window size and position is a good idea and shouldn't be hard, but will have to come in a later release.
Jul 23, 2015 at 3:22 AM
Thanks very much for your efforts. The dynamic resizing sounds like it will be quite helpful.
Does the ribbon control support user configurable hiding of groups (e.g. Edit, Find)? or resizing of individual buttons (e.g. shrinking the Format Query button and putting it under To Lower, or shrinking the Connect and Refresh Metadata buttons and stacking them one on top of the other)?
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2015 at 9:48 PM
No, I don't think the ribbon supports user configurable hiding out of the box. We want to add an options window so It might be possible down the track for us to allow for hiding some of those groups through there. But I think the dynamic resizing should address most of your concerns. I've just posted the 2.2.6 release which includes this as well as the saving of the window location.
Jul 23, 2015 at 9:55 PM
Thanks much, and congrats on the release of 2.2.6. I'm going to install it right now. :)