This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

RUN (Query Table) not available

May 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Hi. I am becoming more experienced with DAX formulae although I am new to DAX as a query language. I have been using DAX Studio for basic queries for a while now, but now I would like to create a Linked Table and believe I need to execute my query using the RUN (Query Table) mode but it is greyed out. Is there an easy answer as to why this is? Thanks. Sven.
May 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM
The short answer is that Microsoft changed something in Excel 2013 that broke this feature and we have not been able to find any work around.

There are various techniques for doing this manually, for example this one posted by Marco. So you could develop your query in DAX Studio then manually set up the linked table. When we've attempted to do the same steps from code in DAX Studio Excel just throws a cryptic error that does not give us any hint to what the root cause of the problem is.

I have not completely given up on this yet, but I've spent hours and hours trying to fix it with no luck, So it's just been put to one side for the time being.
May 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Thanks for clarifying. At least I now know it is not a fault on my side.

One last thing - I've read and re-read the section in Ferrari and Russo's book but I can't figure out why sometimes the "Edit Dax" option is available and other times it is not, when I have done a query and imported it into a table that I now want to edit to pull different data in from a specific query.

Any suggestions?
May 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Sorry, but I'm not sure. In Excel 2013 I've used this technique from Marco and it seems to work fine. I seem to remember earlier when Excel 2013 was first released that I had more issues, but it seems to be stable for me now. So maybe they fixed something in SP1. Although it's hard for me to tell as I've spent a lot of hours trying different ways of generating them through code so my experience is not really a normal one :)
May 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Thanks anyway. I am on the latest SP and have 2013, yet sometimes this option works perfectly and other times it is grayed out. Perhaps I'll figure it out for myself some time and if so, I will reply to this post.